Ashley Mozingo

Hi everyone! My name is Ashley, and I am a stay at home mom to two girls, Paislee, 3 and Keely, 1. My husband is in the Coast Guard, and is currently stationed at a Coast Guard unit on Camp Lejune. We have been married for five years now and have spent two of those years in Alaska, where Paislee was born, and two in Maine, where we had Keely. We were lucky to get stationed here in 2012, and call North Carolina "home". We were both born and raised in different cities in eastern North Carolina, and we are super excited to get to spend some time here with our girls and introduce them to some of our favorite places that we had as children. Before I met my husband, I attended East Carolina University, where I earned my Bachelors Degree in Communications. I have a love for writing, and a huge passion for being a mom, so I am thrilled to have the opportunity to write about my experiences and exciting moments of this rocky ride that we all call 'Motherhood'.


Is My Kid The Class Bully?

Keeping his hands to himself, but not his stinky feet

School update — Isaac’s preschool and my continuing education are both going great — son and mother are enjoying learning many new things and preparing for the next step, which for him is actual school when he is a bit older and for me it is getting my teaching certificate and then obtaining a j-o-b.

So true to form, as soon as I begin to relax about something involving Isaac, he throws me a curve-ball and changes things up. Sometimes it’s a more positive thing, like reaching a milestone, but this one I am writing about is more on the negative side…

I was informed the other day that my precious little boy/maniacal and sometimes definitely terrible two had slapped, yes, SLAPPED, (wait for it… it gets worse!) not one, not two, but three female classmates!  What in the world??? Is my kid the class bully??? And picking on girls? All prematurely quick labeling aside, I am still worried about this.

Apparently he has been getting more rowdy and handsy recently, but more along the lines of really enthusiastic hugs leading to knock-downs and some pushing as well, which are considered more “normal” at his age, and have not been consistent enough to warrant informing me, although I would have appreciated a heads up.

His teachers kindly assured me that the slapping could also be pretty age-appropriate as well, especially when it came to sharing, which has been the trigger for my son, but that did not make me feel that much better. I just don’t get it — we do not watch any violent TV shows or movies, and we do not play rough at home. Yes there has been the occasional hit from my toddler, usually directed at mommy dearest, but it has been dealt with in a healthy manner and I have not seen many repeats.

So why begin this bad behavior at preschool all of a sudden? The one silver lining, if there is one at all, is that from what I heard from his teachers, as soon as Isaac gets physically aggressive with a peer, he immediately says sorry and tries to hug them. Not that the victims want a hug from the meanie who just slapped them, but at least he is trying, I guess. We just need to work on his sharing skills some more and being gentle with others… or just send him off to military school right now!

If anyone has experienced this with their toddler, let me know how you handled it please?

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments on “Is My Kid The Class Bully?”

  • Emily November 29th, 2011 9:22 am

    How could that sweet little boy be a bully? Maybe he is just a ladies man and doesn’t know how to show it…either way, good luck with that!

  • Sarah Moore Sarah Moore November 29th, 2011 8:14 pm

    Hi Emily,
    Yes, that “sweet little boy” is fooling you with his charms and cutesy routine — totally playing you, haha (: Just kidding, I’d say 75% of the time Isaac actually is a sweet little by, but the other 25% he is a monster on wheels! Hopefully he will figure out quickly that if you like someone the best way to show it NOT to slap them!

Leave a Reply

seven + 2 =

Health News

Scary Season

Since having children I have always dreaded this season. The season of sickness. One of all moms biggest fears….

Read More »

Recent Comments