brooke-brown-pollard

A Birthday Bash Fit For A Two Year Old

I am very meticulous about Sayle’s birthday parties; everything must be perfect.  I know that he’s only two years old, and chances are he won’t remember how perfect his second birthday party was, but I will remember his second birthday party, and he will look at the pictures when he’s older.  Plus, I’m his mom and that gives me the right to throw whatever kind of party that I want to and I’m not going to make him suffer through the poinsettia cakes and candy cane parties that I had to endure as a child (ahem, mother).

We chose a Diego theme (not to be confused with Dora).  Initially, I was against going with a character theme for Sayle’s birthday party because I thought he was too young to have a character party.  After consultation with my mommy friends, I was told that I was being ridiculous and to go with what Sayle loves. Sayle loves Diego, problem solved.

I had my friend Mandy design Sayle’s Diego invites.  If you are struggling to find a party invite that you love, check her out at Lucky 7 designs, she can design anything you want and she is great with capturing exactly what you want even when you give her random descriptions.  I purchased the decorations and party necessities at the party store in Swansboro, which has a great selection.  We had Diego plates, cups, party bags, center pieces, candles, balloons – Diego was everywhere.  A friend also told me you can get great deals online at Birthday Express, so check there if you can’t find what you’re looking for.

The cake was AMAZING! Faithfully, we use Kathy Canby because her cakes are simply the best on the planet.  Her cakes will make you hate grocery store sheet cakes forever.  She created the coolest Diego cake; this cake surpassed anything I could have ever thought up in my head.  She made Sayle a three tiered chocolate/yellow swirl Diego cake, with animals, a waterfall, jungle, palm trees, and chocolate rocks.  Sayle’s cake was so awesome we didn’t want to cut it!  If you want a personalized and delicious cake, you have to try Kathy! We had easy food for the kids: vegetable and fruit trays, various sandwiches, and chips with dip.  We had too much food last year; I didn’t think we had enough food this year, but we had leftovers and it all worked out.

As for the entertainment, I struggled with this.  Two year olds are tricky with their likes and dislikes and March weather is so unpredictable.  After much thought, we went with a bouncy house.  We reserved a regular bouncy house with a huge tiger on top, but this mega bouncy house with a slide and maze came available (we originally wanted that one, but was told it was already reserved) and that one was grabbed for us.  I didn’t even take into consideration until after the fact, that some kids may be afraid of bouncy houses.  My friend Marsha’s little boy, Oliver, refuses to get in them, so I was worried that the kids wouldn’t play in it.  Thankfully, all the kids (especially Oliver) loved it and bounced to their hearts content!  Papa and Mimi also put together Sayle’s new water table, slides, and picnic table, so the kids had plenty to do!

All of the kids, especially Sayle, had a fantastic time and the weather held out for the most part!  Little Miss Nora Mulder came to party with Sayle and played just as hard as any boy in her party dress and white tights!  Sorry about that Kelly, I hope the dirt came out!

How have you celebrated your two year old’s birthday?  What activities did you have at the party?

7 Comments on “A Birthday Bash Fit For A Two Year Old”

• Kelly Mulder Kelly Mulder April 11th, 2011 7:19 pm

Brooke,

That cake was something else! and it was delicious too! Thankfully Nora’s white tights returned to normal after just one wash :) . We all (Me, Garrett, and Nora) thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!! You certainly know how to throw a party! Nora is still asking to ‘jump at the party’

:) Kelly

• Sarah Moore April 11th, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi Brooke,
    Sounds like a great time! Isaac is still mad at me that we couldn’t make it, but we were in MD, sorry! I always miss all the fun (: Ooh and Kathy Canby cakes, my mouth is watering…

• Kari April 13th, 2011 12:15 pm

Looks like a fantastic party! I can’t wait to plan birthday party #2!

• Tess Keys April 13th, 2011 12:30 pm

We had a Kidville party with an Elmo theme. We had their musical group “The Little Maestros” perform…Micah LOVES them – he struts around the house singing their songs all the time. We had a small art project and gym time, and then we had pizza and cupcakes – I made Sesame Street themed cupcakes. They gave out really nice gift bags, too – a Melissa & Doug playmat with all the letters, and a travel watercolor set. Looks like you had a lot of fun!

• Mandy April 13th, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks Brook!! ♥

Looks like the party was a huge success! HOW is Sayle 2?!?!

Happy Birthday!

• Kelly Ammerman April 14th, 2011 7:55 am

Brooke,
    You did a fantastic job! Let me give you a little “glimpse” into the future….I will be planning a “13″ and “15″ year olds birthday this year (Lord help me, just typing that makes me want to cringe!) but, needless to say, we STILL do themes! They just get bigger, better and MORE EXPENSIVE! I wouldn’t have it any other way. We all look back on those days with smiles and lots of fun memories. My kids are in charge of making the Memory Books of these events. They seem to always have a different perspective (the fun side!) They arent worried about the stressors that go along with it all (RSVPs, reservations, out of stock items, etc.) They just remember the fabulous time that was had by all, as mom is in the background popping Advil and smiling! So, have a blast….share your resources and ALWAYS party with a theme! :)

• Brooke Brooke April 19th, 2011 9:47 pm

Kelly, thanks so much for coming! It was great to see you, it had been WAY too long, and finally meet Garrett! It was also great to see exactly how fearless Nora really is!! Everyone talked about how cute she was in her little dress-the girl can party in fashion!

Sarah, I’m pretty sure that Sayle has revoked his part of the BFF necklace he shared with Isaac. :) I wish ya’ll had been in town, we definitely missed you! :( The cake was SO SO good and I have no shame in telling you that!!

Kari- As much as I was excited to plan this party, I was sad too! Like Mandy said, how is Sayle two??? I have no idea!! I can’t wait to see pictures of the quadlets second birthday!!

OH TESS! I LOVE Melissa and Doug stuff! I have never seen a matt, but we have several puzzles! I wish we had a place like that around here, sounds like Micah had an absolute blast. I need to show off your Sesame Street cupcakes, Oscar is way too cute!!! I wish I had your decorating skill!!

Mandy-I cannot thank you enough for Sayle’s invite. I meant it when I said you were a mind reader! The only true detail I gave you was Diego and you were able to translate all my crazy jibber jabber into brilliance!

Kelly-I think Memory Books are a great idea! I would love to see how Sayle viewed his birthday party (i.e.-all I remember from my early birthdays are candy canes and poinsettia cakes althought my mom swears that wasn’t the case). It is our job as parents to deal with the stressors of the birthday parties, now I know why my parents were always game for parties at the skating rink! Cheers to Advil and thanks!!!