Molly DeWitt

My name is Molly DeWitt and I’m a 30-something first-time mom navigating the joys and pitfalls of parenthood, working full-time, and living life as a military spouse. A California girl at heart, I will always call the golden state my home but I have learned to appreciate the “finer” things about life in the south including sweet tea, the courtesies of “Sir” and “Ma’am” and rainy summer nights.I met my husband, a Marine, while living in California. Ten years later here we are in North Carolina, by way of Virginia.I graduated from UNCW with my BA professional writing in 2008 and put that to good use for several years as a reporter for The Daily News here in Jacksonville. Following my departure from the newspaper I began work as an Early Head Start Home Visitor with the Onslow County Partnership for Children. I love what I do and am gratified daily as I work to help local families achieve their goals and raise healthy, happy children who are ready to succeed in life. In June 2011 my husband and I welcomed our first child, Emmett. He keeps us on our toes and provides us endless laughter and joy. Welcome to my world; I look forward to stretching my writing muscles and sharing the highs, lows, and all things ridiculous that happen in between.

kelly-mulder

Shark Teeth Hunting on Onslow Beach

Have you ever been shark teeth hunting? It is definitely addicting! I got hooked when I first moved to North Carolina. NC beaches are the first beaches I’ve been to that are uncombed. In Maryland and Delaware they comb the beaches with man-made machines and (in my mind) strip the beach of all of her natural treasure. Onslow Beach (located on Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune) is my favorite place to go shark teeth hunting. Nora loves it too! All I have to do is give her a plastic bag and she will spend hours filling it with shells, rocks and even sand (Yes, she is known for scooping handfuls of sand into her bag).

Garrett and I recently had some Nora free time thanks to my friend Sarah. We were thinking of going on a ‘gym date’ like our pre-Nora days but as we approached the turn for the gym my pregnant body was NOT in the mood to work out. The road in front of us (also the road to the beach) was calling my name. I said, “Let’s go to the beach instead!” My husband looked slightly shocked but he’s always willing to participate in my crazy plans and we continued straight towards the beach.

The shark teeth we found on the beach

Ten minutes later when we got out on the beach I realized exactly how cold it was at the beach. I also realized how improperly my husband was dressed. I at least had sweatpants and a sweatshirt (when the weather definitely called for a winter coat or wind breaker). Garrett, however, had on shorts and a t-shirt. We decided that since we were already there we’d look for shark teeth for a little bit and then go home. When we walked up to the beach we found the biggest pile of rocks! The perfect place to shark teeth hunt! The laws of physics are totally in play on the beach –meaning- the beach puts objects of the same weight/size together so if you find a big pile of rocks chances are there are big shark teeth.

Garrett and I hurried towards the shark teeth and began looking. We started finding some awesome shark teeth right off the bat. It was so exciting! Before I knew it twenty minutes had passed and I hadn’t even noticed the cold. Garrett and I were going to leave but my shark tooth addiction convinced him we needed to look for at least ten to fifteen minutes more. Another woman was shark tooth hunting nearby and Garrett wandered off down the beach a little further. A few minutes later Garrett came back with the biggest shark tooth I have ever seen. When the woman next to me saw it she exclaimed, “You totally planted that!” Little does she know he didn’t even know he was going to go to the beach that day!

The shark tooth Garrett found

What’s your coolest beach find?

13 Comments on “Shark Teeth Hunting on Onslow Beach”

• Toni March 31st, 2011 9:04 pm

jealous! Although the three of us had some great beach days! I would not take those away for anything!

• Kelly Mulder Kelly April 1st, 2011 10:16 am

We did have some really awesome beach days Toni! Just the other day Nora and I were at the park and a green cavalier drove by. When I first saw it I totally got excited thinking, Toni’s home! But that obviously wasn’t the case :( We miss you!

• Heather April 1st, 2011 12:17 pm

What a fun family activity! I saw Carrie’s giant shark tooth yesterday. I held it up to Bradford’s face. It’s bigger than his mouth. Unbelievable!

• Kelly Mulder Kelly April 2nd, 2011 9:35 am

I know! Carrie’s is relatively new too,… It isn’t all black like the one Garrett found. Shark tooth hunting is definitely a fun family activity! You should come and visit us in NC and give it a try :)

Kelly

• Steph April 2nd, 2011 12:34 pm

OH MY GOSH! Those are awesome! I have never found one but now with your tips maybe I’ll be mor efficient. You should make a big museum type shadow box with all these! Glad you had fun. Great memories. :)

• Kelly Mulder Kelly April 4th, 2011 8:26 am

Steph, We’ll have to go shark tooth hunting together! It really is so much fun. The next time you’re over I’ll let you hold Garrett’s shark tooth ;) :)

• Bonnie April 29th, 2011 2:03 pm

We were stationed at Camp Lejeune back in 1988 – 1994. My adult sons were toddlers then. My husband, who is a Warrant Officer now, didn’t have much rank back then. Lack of money had us looking for free things to do to entertain ourselves. We use to spend almost every weekend searching for sharks teeth on Onslow beach. We have a large jar filled with teeth of different sizes. And we have one tooth that is even bigger than the one your husband found. Those very large teeth come from the extinct megalodon shark. When the Jurassic Park movie came out, our son (who was about 8 then) became obsessed with dinosaurs so searching for the megalodon teeth became a passion for him. Some of our best memories are from the days we spent walking that beach. We are actually planning a trip back there this summer to relive some of it. My sons are 26 and 22 now, and we will be taking their 9 year old brother who has never been to Onslow Beach there to experience it for the first time. Enjoy your time while stationed there, and enjoy your children while they are young. I’m sure you’ll look back at these times with the same fondness that I do. Good luck with your searches! (hint, you find more when the tide is out or after a storm).

• Kelly Mulder Kelly Mulder April 29th, 2011 2:22 pm

Bonnie,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I enjoyed reading about your family trips to the beach and hope one day I’ll be able to take all of my children (and maybe even grandchildren) to Onslow beach. I hope you make some good finds when you come and visit us! My husband and I (after research) suspected it was a megalodon tooth, but hearing you say it makes me even more certain! I wish we could post pictures on here, I’d love to see a picture of your megalodon tooth. I ran into a woman taking pictures on the beach the day we found it and she said she had seen a girl with a tooth that was as big as her head!

Thanks for all of the your tips! Now I’m going to be really itching to get to the beach after a storm! Thanks again for commenting!

Kelly

• sheila birchfield August 2nd, 2012 2:59 pm

My father was a retired vet. He is passed away now but my mohter still has her retired Military ID card. She lives with me and is unable to travel. So is there another beach by your area that might have shark teeth that I could take my two grandkids to. Because I would have to have my momith me to use her ID card and she isn’t able. If you could let me know something back. Would much rether hunt for shark teeth in that area. Usually go to myrtle beach but would like to go somewhere else. Thank you for your time. Sheila Birchfield

• Kelly Mulder Kelly Mulder August 5th, 2012 6:14 am

Hey Sheila,

Have you tried top sail beach? Top sail beach is along the same coast line as Onslow Beach and I bet you’d have some luck there.

Happy shark teeth hunting!
    Kelly

• sheila birchfield August 6th, 2012 11:21 pm

thank you for the quick come back. am letting daughter in law decide which one. noww added topsail to list. thanks

• Kelly Mulder Kelly Mulder August 7th, 2012 12:49 am

You are very welcome!

Kelly

• Shark tooth hunter n Indiana December 26th, 2012 11:57 am

Onslow beach is also my favorite shark tooth hunting playground. I am amazed at the size of the one your husband found.
    You are right about this past time being an addiction. I can and have spent entire days just walking up and down the beach, looking for even the tiniest tooth.