brooke-brown-pollard

Is Dora ONLY for girls and Diego ONLY for boys?

Sayle really loves the Dora and Diego shows.  Swiper is his favorite character on Dora. He loves to do the “Swiper, no swiping” hands and one of his favorite phrases is “Aww, man!!” Sayle loves everything Diego, or Day-doe as Sayle calls him. As soon as he hears the Diego song, he breaks into dance and he really goes to town when Rescue Pack comes on. He loves Diego so much that we are using him as the theme for Sayle’s birthday party.

Sayle’s love for both shows has stirred up quite a few discussions between my husband and me.  My husband states that Dora is for girls, Diego is for boys, and Sayle should not have anything Dora.  The initial discussion took place when my mom sent Sayle a Dora Valentine’s Day book.  My husband thought she should have sent him a Diego book as Dora is clearly geared more towards girls.  (For the record, the book was about Dora’s grandmother and Valentine’s Day, not gender specific.) The next discussion took place when we were in Wal-Mart. I was looking for the Diego’s Talking Rescue Pack and they didn’t carry it anymore.  They did, however, have Dora’s Talking Backpack and Sayle loved it, but my husband was adamant that Sayle was not going to have Backpack because it was purple and for girls.

My girlfriends have little girls and I have personally purchased numerous Dora birthday gifts; Mermaid Dora, Bath Time Dora, Dora Castle, blah blah.  I agree, Dora toys are marketed to little girls; they are pink, but that doesn’t mean that Swiper, Boots, and Backpack are owned by the female gender too!

I also agree that Diego toys are marketed more for little boys.  Diego is in the rugged jungle, has baby Jaguar as his buddy, and swings on ropes-a typical boy’s boy! His Rescue Pack is brown, not to be confused with the girly color purple.  In fact, there is no girly in Diego’s show or toys at all.  Diego’s sister, Alicia, isn’t even remotely wearing as much pink as her cousin Dora, hence making her acceptable in boy land and in boys’ toy boxes all over the world.

Who remembers Snake Mountain?

My husband and I have gone round and round about this and I’m going to tell you the best part of his argument-he had to go old school to make his point. Apparently, Diego and Dora are the same as He-Man and She-Ra.  He-Man was for boys and She-Ra was for girls, according to my husband-girls did not play He-Man.

I loved She-Ra Princess of Power, but I specifically remember my girlfriends and me playing with He-Man action figures, especially Skeletor’s castle (remember the microphone?), and I watched the He-Man cartoon.  He then changed his argument to girls can play with boy toys, but boys can’t play with girl toys.  So basically, it is okay for girls to have Diego stuff, but boys shouldn’t have Dora stuff.

While I’m not purchasing Mermaid Dora or Dora Castle for Sayle, I think it is completely appropriate for him to have a Dora book or even Dora’s talking Backpack if I wanted to really push it.  At this point in Sayle’s life, he isn’t even aware of gender specific toys; a toy is a toy to him regardless if it’s purple or brown.  I could understand my husband’s concern if I was purchasing Barbies or My Little Pony figures for Sayle, but I’m not!

What do you think about gender specific toys?  Do you think Dora is ONLY for girls and Diego is ONLY for boys?

10 Comments on “Is Dora ONLY for girls and Diego ONLY for boys?”

• swaggerdaddy March 24th, 2011 12:14 pm

So heres my opinion…. my lil boy loves the Dora and Diego shows as well, and he has a few diego DVDs, and i would say a Dora book is ok because they love the characters, but I agree with your husband for the most part, Dora is for girls, Diego is for boys, But they are definately not he-man and she-ra, that was completely seperate, i would say Dora and Diego blur the lines more. I mean the Dora show is geared toward boys and girls but the actual Dora toys are geared more toward girls only and Diego toward boys only. Back to He-man and She-ra, those were shows we watched 5yrs old and up and I would say they really arent comparable to the Dora/Diego type shows which are geared toward the younger audience. My niece who is 6 is out of the dora stage and thinks Dora is lame now.. but she used to love her…lol Back on subject and Ending Point – Doras for Girls, Diegos for Boys, but at the age of 1-5 I would say the actual shows are for all, but the toys not so much. By the way my lil boy is big into Curios George, you can watch on PBS or you can buy the show DVD’s for like $5 -$15 at target.

• A Birthday Bash Fit For A Two Year Old | Cuddlebugs April 11th, 2011 11:46 am

[...] chose a Diego theme (not to be confused with Dora).  Initially, I was against going with a character theme for Sayle’s birthday party because I [...]

• He Gets It From His Momma And Daddy Doesn't Like It! (The High Heels, That Is) Video Post | Cuddlebugs October 11th, 2011 7:03 am

[...] clothes” (aka-smocked outfits); he wanted Sayle dressed in Manchester United gear at all times. He didn’t want Sayle watching Dora since Dora is ONLY for girls. Now, I’m messing Sayle up by letting him wear my high [...]

• Heather March 2nd, 2012 8:29 pm

My little guy also loves Didi (as he calls Dora). He watches Diego, but def prefers Dora! (He’s 2.5). He definitly seems to be phasing her out thought – he’s BIG TIME into superheros – Spiderman and Captain American are his favorite. Tell your hubby not to worry – they will grow out of it soon enough! :) I wasn’t “allowed” ( I use that term for lack of a better one!) to get out son a Dora toy, but he does have Boots and Swiper stuffed animals! Pick your battles! :)

• Carrie May 29th, 2012 9:51 pm

My nephew loves Dora more than Diego. My daughter loves both. I disagree with the She-Ra/He-man comparison as those were geared for older children and Dora/Diego were geared for the PreK crowd. I think both shows are great for both genders, and while Dora items are geared more towards girls (she is a girl afterall) I think that’s more gender stereotypes played out in commercialism (which there’s a lot of).

• Nicki July 20th, 2012 9:06 pm

My son loves both & I disagree with your husband. I dont care if its pink or purple, if my son wants it, he can have it. My daughter use to go out the back & play cars & trucks with her brother. So why cant a boy play with a dora doll. My son has dora dolls & also a dora doll house. I dont believe in selecting a toy based on gender. If a girl can play with boys toys them a boy can play with girls toys. Who cares, there little kids & its just a toy.

• Jacob February 6th, 2013 6:17 pm

My two year old daughter Amelia loved Dow-wah and boots. Until she saw Dae-Doe lol. Now shes hooked on diego, I rather her like dora more than diego but hey what can i do? She has the dora and boots animals as well as backpack and map, and she loves to sleep with them still, so i guess its fine that she likes diego, after all it is geared not just more at boys. But older, more mentally developed children in general. Plus Dora visits 1 out of every 4 diego episodes anyways so no biggie.

Other addicting and very educational shows:
    Oomi zoomi. “zoomies”
    Doc mcstuffins. “Stuffits”
    Bubble guppies. “Guppies”

• M February 27th, 2013 10:43 pm

Its so funny .. I actually searched in web to see if Dora is only for girls because me amd my husband argued over this topic…. I have 2 boys 6&3 Went to Walmart and was trying to get find a nice book… Did not get what i wanted so I picked Dora and nothing was girly in that book… My husband got upset that i picked Doras book for our sons which ended up in an arguement i told him i was not picking any Barbie doll or any girly stuff it was just a book which i thought was fine for my son to read… Arguement went over couple hrs and i ended up here trying to show him what people think… I dont Participate in any web discussion but it was interesting to hear someone who think the same way i do exactly….

• Lori May 6th, 2013 3:24 pm

Funny I found this today. My husband & I were just discussing this. My son will be 3 in July and is getting ready to start pre-k. He LOVES Dora and couldn’t care less about Diego. He really wants a Dora backpack for school, but they are all pink! It makes me so mad! My husband & I wouldn’t care so much, but we don’t want the other kids making fun of him. How do you explain gender issues to a 3yo?

• Jacons July 24th, 2014 10:51 am

I have a two year old son who LOVES Dora. He loves the show, he loves the books! I don’t think the show is gender specific at all. The missions and adventures they go on are gender neutral. Dora’s friends are not all female. Look at Benny and Tico. The animals and characters that Dora helps are a healthy mix of male and female. I especially like the show because it isn’t just mind numbing television. It requires his participation with all of the “Repeat after me”, and “I need your help” dialogue. He also is being exposed to a few Spanish words, which is great! The products they make outside of the books though do seem to run heavily pink and purple. That doesn’t stop me from purchasing them for him though. He has a Dora coloring book where Dora is on the cover in a pink tutu. The pages inside are of all the characters though. My husband and I see no issue with these products though even being pink and purple. He’s two. He doesn’t grasp the idea of gender specific toys yet. Colors are simply just colors to him, and at this stage it’s mainly learning that all these colors exist. I also think that it doesn’t hurt for little boys to establish a good balance of a softer side with all the masculinity. He loves the Incredible Hulk and soccer just as much as Dora!