Ashley Mozingo

Hi everyone! My name is Ashley, and I am a stay at home mom to two girls, Paislee, 3 and Keely, 1. My husband is in the Coast Guard, and is currently stationed at a Coast Guard unit on Camp Lejune. We have been married for five years now and have spent two of those years in Alaska, where Paislee was born, and two in Maine, where we had Keely. We were lucky to get stationed here in 2012, and call North Carolina "home". We were both born and raised in different cities in eastern North Carolina, and we are super excited to get to spend some time here with our girls and introduce them to some of our favorite places that we had as children. Before I met my husband, I attended East Carolina University, where I earned my Bachelors Degree in Communications. I have a love for writing, and a huge passion for being a mom, so I am thrilled to have the opportunity to write about my experiences and exciting moments of this rocky ride that we all call 'Motherhood'.


Getting Tubes In Your Ears Is No Big Deal Part I

“Tubes are no big deal, I promise.”

Every friend of mine whose child had tubes said that exact statement to me when they found out Sayle was getting tubes.

“The procedure is actually harder on you than it is on them” was the usual follow up.

I believed what my friends told me, but as a mother, I was still worried.  Our road to getting Sayle tubes was long and painful.  Sayle had MANY ear infections; the final ear infection was coupled with snot coming out of his tear ducts.  We were all ready for Sayle to have tubes, but we were going to the hospital for the procedure and he had to be given anesthesia-I didn’t like either of those scenarios.

Sayle and his nurse

We stayed in Wilmington the night before the surgery since we had to report to Cape Fear Hospital at 5:30 am.  (We had to go to Wilmington to see an ENT since the ENT in Jacksonville was no longer practicing, but from what I understand there is a new ENT in town.)  We chose to have the procedure early as possible as Sayle couldn’t eat or drink after midnight.  The sooner the procedure was completed, the sooner Sayle could eat and drink, hopefully making the day easier for him.

The hospital allows you the luxury of completing paperwork over the phone the week before the procedure and I encourage everyone to do this as it makes the process so much easier.  We checked in, were assigned a pager, and waited.  Sayle ran circles in front of the couch we were sitting on, entertaining everyone in the lobby, oblivious to what the morning had in store for him.

We were paged about 15 minutes later and shown to our room.  Sayle had his own nurse who met us in the room, which was nice.  She checked his vitals, answered any questions we had, and assured us this was an easy procedure.  She informed us that Sayle was Dr. Botros’ first patient and we were just waiting for him to be ready.  The room was very comfortable, equipped with a little toddler bed, some chairs, a television, and a little teddy bear dressed in scrubs for Sayle’s entertainment.

Sayle wasn't worried about getting his tubes

Finally, the anesthesiologist arrived to our room.  He gave us the option to give Sayle a minor sedative that would calm him down.  He also explained that it would make it easier for them to take Sayle away from us for the procedure.  I was encouraged by a friend to get the sedative prior to the procedure as she didn’t get it for her daughter and she screamed bloody murder until the anesthesiologist put her to sleep for the procedure so we agreed to let him give it to Sayle.  We felt there was no reason to make this harder on Sayle than it needed to be.

Sayle was completely chilled out and Dr. Botros was ready for him.  As they whisked him away from us, I started to feel a bit anxious and had to remind myself “tubes were no big deal.”  I sat down to type an update to the family and before I was even done with the email, Sayle was back! The procedure took about seven minutes.  I was amazed!

Seriously, getting tubes is your ears is no big deal at all!

Stay tuned for part II!

Bookmark and Share

One Comment on “Getting Tubes In Your Ears Is No Big Deal Part I”

Leave a Reply

+ four = 8

Health News

Scary Season

Since having children I have always dreaded this season. The season of sickness. One of all moms biggest fears….

Read More »

Recent Comments