brooke-brown-pollard

11 Mommy Rules For The World Cup

Friday marks the first game of the World Cup which is big time in my house as my husband is a football (soccer in America) fanatic. He has been waiting for these games to start since he was reduced to tears when England lost their game four years ago.

While my husband has been eagerly waiting for these games, I have been dreading them. I have been through two World Cups with him so I know what to expect. He is going to be decked out in his England kit, glued to the television, screaming, cheering, and using curse words I only hear every four years.

In addition, he is going to be completely oblivious to everything that is going on in this house-if the house was engulfed in flames, he wouldn’t move a muscle in fear he would miss a free kick. Obviously this year is going to be different since we have Sayle. My husband predicted there might be a chance that I would need assistance with Sayle or something baby related during the games, so to “make things easier for me” he got me a list of rules that husbands set for their wives during the World Cup games. I figured I would share.

Sayle will be wearing his England kit during the games

1. Between June 11 and July 11 2010, you should read the sports section of the newspaper so you are aware of what is going on in the world of soccer, and that way you will be able to join in the conversations.  If you fail to do this, then you will be looked at in a bad way, or you will be totally ignored.  Do NOT complain about not receiving any attention.

2. During the World Cup, the television is mine, at all times, without any exceptions.  If you even take a glimpse of the remote control, you will lose it (your eye).

3. If you have to pass by in front of the TV during the game, I don’t mind, as long as you do it crawling on the floor without distracting me.

4. During the games, I will be blind, deaf, and mute, unless I require a refill of my drink or something to eat.  You are out of your mind if you expect me to listen to you, open the door, answer the telephone, or pick up the baby who just fell on the floor…It won’t happen.

5. Please, please, please!! If you see me upset because one of my teams is losing, DO NOT say “get over it, its only a game,” or “don’t worry, they’ll win next time.”  If you say these thing, you will only make me angrier and I will love you less.  Remember, you will never even know more about soccer than me and your so called words of encouragement” will only lead to a divorce.

6. You are welcome to sit with me to watch one game and you can talk to me during halftime but only when commercials are on, and only if the half time scores is pleasing me.  In addition, please note I am saying “one game;” hence do not use the World Cup as a nice cheesy excuse to “spend time together.”

7. The replays of the goals are very important.  I don’t care if I have seen them or I haven’t seen them, I want to see them again…many times.

8. Tell your friends NOT to have any babies’, or any other child related parties or gatherings that require my attendance because:

a)      I will not go

b)      I will not go, and

c)      I will not go.

9. But, if a friend of mine invites us to his house to watch a game, we will be there in a flash.

10. That daily World Cup highlights show on TV every night is just as important as the games themselves.  Do not even think about saying “but you have already seen them…why don’t you change the channel to something we can all watch?” because the reply will be, “refer to rule #2 of this list.”

11. And finally, please save your expressions such as”Thank God the World Cup is only every four years.”  I am immune to these words, because before and after this comes the Champions League, Premier League, Italian League, Spanish League, KPL, FA Cup, Euro Cup, etc.

Is anyone else’s husband a complete and utter sports fanatic?

10 Comments on “11 Mommy Rules For The World Cup”

• Tim S June 11th, 2010 10:49 am

Absolutely hilarious! As a huge World Cup fan, I get it …

• Brooke Brooke June 11th, 2010 11:58 am

Ah Tim S, I knew my hubbie could count on you for support. Please feel free to pass these rules over to your wife, they came from England and apparently if an English wife steps out of the line during the WC, she may be punished. HA~
    My husband has asked me several times if I have read and understand these rules, I’m actually waiting for him to get me to sign a copy!

Wouldn’t it be something if the US won this weekend?

• Kt June 11th, 2010 12:00 pm

Holy crap – my hubby is from England as well and this post might as well be my own. I love soccer (or futbol as he’ll make me refer to it) but not to the level of obsession he does. I kind of dread when the world cup comes around because I know our schedules will constantly have to be arranged around game times.

• Grandma June 11th, 2010 2:02 pm

Welcome to my world Brooke! Brace yourself for England’s progression through the stages. Brace yourself even harder if they don’t progress!! In the end I gave up fighting it with a household full of males. Trust me Sayle will be following in his Granddad, Dad and Uncles footsteps and be an ardent football fan too! Let’s all hope for a good and fair competition and may the best team win … as long as it is England!! ;-)

• Jules June 12th, 2010 11:06 am

World cup not so much but we’re both pretty bad with other sports. We’ve actually tried to push nap times on more than one occasion due to a sporting event.

• Keith Cartwright June 12th, 2010 1:45 pm

Very fair rules Brooke. As a loving wife you should follow these rules with a smile, and maybe even prepare some snacks to further enhance the husband’s World Cup experience. If you have any trouble joyfully following these rules, consider this: these same rules apply in our house (in fact I think they may be stolen rules) for the Notre Dame football season, which happens once a year and lasts 4 months. Happy World Cupping.

• Binduhontas June 12th, 2010 3:41 pm

HAHAHAH, I LOVE #3. Good blog, Brookey!

• Sarah Moore Sarah Moore June 12th, 2010 5:41 pm

Hope you and Sayle are surviving and following the rules!!!

• Brooke Brooke June 13th, 2010 8:29 am

Hi Kt!! It is so nice to meet another “Brit’s wife!” What part of England is your husband from? How long has he been over here? I could ask you a billion other questions too~HA! The futbol obsession is crazy in my house; if it isn’t the WC then it is Manchester United (be sure to take a look at my video interview, I go into all of that). Our schedules are set around the games as well, can you believe my husband was willing to forfeit Father’s Day so he wouldn’t miss a game?!!

Grandma-I can only imagine what my life is going to look like when Sayle is a bit older to where he truly understands the games??!! When do the boys sit around the television with their father and start screaming at the game? You know, now I understand why it is important to have a girl next. The ladies in the Pollard family are starting to really become outnumbered.

Julie-what sport are you and hubbie crazy about? I’m an AMERICAN football fan, so that is the season where I scream at the TV.

Bindu-thanks! I thought these rules were pretty amusing! Can you imagine me walking across the view of the TV? “BROOKE-for the love of England, MOVE YOUR BUM AWAY FROM THE BLOODY TELIE.”

Sarah-We made it through the first weekend. Continue with the thoughts and prayers, especially if I “step out of line.”

• Jules June 15th, 2010 9:54 pm

Almost all of them (during football we usually give up since the Rams are horrid) NCAA tourney, MLB (He’s Yankees, no good!) Even golf or tennis. We do watch the world cup, just not super-crazed. Although I did enjoy the U.S. game.

Curious – how did the “easy” goal go over with your hubby?