sarah-moore

The Sip N’ See — A Sweet Southern Tradition

Baby shower?  No thanks.  I seriously did not want a baby shower.  Call me crazy, but I felt uncomfortable asking people to buy me presents in this terrible economy, especially since most of my friends were from my old school, so the majority of them were jobless like me at the time.  I didn’t want to impose or make anyone spend their money on me.

Isaac was a real party animal

Isaac was a real party animal

I also have a little social anxiety and don’t like being the center of attention or in a crowded area.  Luckily I was bullied into submission and not really given a choice in the matter.  As a friend pointed out, “Sarah this is not about you anymore, it’s all about Isaac now, so get over it.”

My friends had something called a sip n’ see for us which is apparently a baby shower after the baby is born.  I had never heard of this before, and was told it was a “Southern thing,” like sweet tea and pig pickins.  Isaac was the center of attention and got passed around all afternoon while I ate everything and relaxed — it was wonderful!

Later on I realized that people wanted to help out with baby gifts, as well as celebrate with us, and I felt silly about worrying so much about it at first.  I felt blessed to have received so many nice and useful presents, as well as lots of good advice.  Money and anxiety were non issues, and we all had a great time (:  I highly recommend a sip n’ see!

By the way, this was the greatest cake ever made and I ate about half of it, no joke!  Chocolate and I were on a break during my pregnancy, but now are happily back on and enjoying lots of time together.

Read here to get the info  from one of the master minds behind my sip n see and the ins and outs of having one!!

The most delicious cake EVER and I ate half of it...no joke!

14 Comments on “The Sip N’ See — A Sweet Southern Tradition”

• Jessica Lowe Jessica Lowe February 18th, 2010 7:35 pm

AHHH i’m stealing this idea. i love it. i hate baby showers but i always feel obligated to throw them for people.

we did a “wham bam thankyou maam” shower for a friend which was fun too. after they have the baby, you tell the husband ur gonna surprise her with a shower. come by with a few friends, balloons, a cake and gifts and BAM. stay for an hour and it’s over. love it. she loved it and everyone got to see the baby too!

• Sarah Moore Sarah Moore February 19th, 2010 4:59 pm

Yeah I think it was more fun because there was an actual baby there versus a cute belly (: And it was a welcome break for me to be around other adults and have Isaac taken care of! I like the wham bam idea, what a nice surprise to throw for someone, as well as quick and easy!

• Second Baby, New Baby-The Remedy Is The Sip N' See | Cuddlebugs March 14th, 2011 4:50 pm

[...] Your friend is weird about receiving gifts, makes all kinds of excuses as to why she doesn’t want a shower, and doesn’t want to be showered like the pregnant queen she is, forcing you to throw the shower after the baby is born (not naming names, but you can read her blog here). [...]

• Judy March 16th, 2011 11:06 pm

I have been in the south for over 20 years from Virginia to Charleston to Georgia and have never heard of a Sip and See until watching, “The Atlanta Housewives” or “The Housewives of Atlanta,” whatever.

Anyway…Phaedra the so called royalty of “Hotlanta”
    had a Sip and See for her newborn. I did think it was a nice idea so everyone could come and see the baby but it was thrown after the baby shower and she claimed it was an old southern tradition, when the child was a month old. You served punch and finger foods and the ladies also brought gifts again! If I had a sip and see, I would not have a baby shower as it does appear to look “needy.” Cute idea!! Most people do want to see the baby–I say (reinstate the sip and see and ) bring back an old tradition and celebrate the wonderment of birth. Break out the silver, crystal or the best dishes you have, mix and match, get out granny’s table cloth and punch bowl and eat cake ladies!! Pass around your new bundle of joy.

• Sarah Moore March 18th, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Judy,

Ahh the housewives…I did not know about it until one of our own Carteret County housewives (blogger Brooke) had one for me, so the thanks goes to her. I am a Northerner so I had no idea (:

It was wonderful, having a sip n’ see instead of the traditional shower, and I highly recommend it to any new mommies out there — waaay better with a baby vs. a baby bump, and the more cake the better!

• Meg March 25th, 2011 11:24 am

I’m from Texas and we have held sip-n-sees for years. But gifts are never accepted. They are just a pressure free way to see the child and sometimes, a way to thank guests for bringing gifts from a prior shower!

• Sarah Moore Sarah Moore March 25th, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi Meg,
    Ahh, so this wonderful tradition extends all the way down the Southern coast and then some! That is good to hear — I would like the sip n’ see to go worldwide (: Gifts were accepted at mine because I did not have a baby shower, but if I did I would not have accepted them a second time — I like what you said about it being pressure free! Thanks for reading!

• Rikki June 11th, 2011 8:08 am

My family has done baby showers AFTER baby is born and we did it with my son. I thought it was fantastic! I will do this for any friends I plan the shower for. There are so many advantages to it. We didn’t know the sex of our baby so waiting until after allowed people to know the sex. My son was also unexpected large, so people who wanted to bring presents were able to buy the right sizes. Also, present givers were able to see what we truly needed and help us out that way. But I think everyone loved being able to see him mostly. It gave me a well needed rest and social interaction too. I’m glad you succumbed to the fun!! :)

• Judy June 11th, 2011 8:47 am

I really like the ideas posted here. They are a very nice change of pace, especially given the change in the economy. Everyone has to watch their wallets, and a lot of us want to give a gift, even if the gift is given discreetly to a second time mom or if we are buying something as simple as a cake or party favors. Purchasing items for a Sip N See is the way to go after reading this blog and this is what I will do in the future. Thanks to all of you who have contributed with your great ideas!

I also wanted to let you in on another thought. I have received a lot of emails from friends who feel isolated from their friends when they brought their newborns home because they miss going out and having that regular social interaction so I believe the Sip N See would assist with that as well in a small, temporary way.

• Sarah Moore Sarah Moore June 12th, 2011 8:25 am

Hi Rikki,
    I agree with all the pros of the sip n’ see, and don’t think there are any cons, despite my mixed feelings at first. Knowing the sex of the baby, the size, knowing what you need, etc. is all so helpful and I’m glad that worked out to so well for you. I think we all need to relax and succumb to the fun more often, haha. Thanks for reading!

Hi Judy,
    Thanks for your opinion and for reading! I’m glad you got some new and useful ideas, and sometimes it is truly the thought that counts as opposed to the big expensive present, you know? And you are exactly right with your comment about new mom isolation! It’s tough at first, but having visitors and especially a nice sip n’ see can bring a lonely new mom some well-deserved relaxation and happiness (: Good call!

• Luciana July 2nd, 2011 3:18 pm

I too had never heard of a “Sip ‘n See” until I watched a rerun of an episode of Housewives of Atlanta and saw Phaedra have one. I thought it was a fantastic idea!! And classy! I’m a grandmother and plan to have one for my grandchild with all MY friends present. Thanks to Phaedra for giving the world a brand-new idea for many of us!

• Sarah Moore Sarah Moore July 3rd, 2011 11:43 am

Hi Luciana,
    Ok, some of the women on that show are ridiculous, but I am glad that they are spreading the sip n’ see idea around (: Thanks Phaedra! I was introduced to it be my friend here in NC (blogger Brooke) and until then I had never heard of it either. I’m sure your own sip n’ see will be fabulous and your friends and family will love it! Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

• Sue January 23rd, 2012 12:10 pm

I was hoping to know more about the fabulous cake. Would love the recipe or where you bought the cake. We are having a sip n’ see in March for a daughter of a friend of mine. (This is an old tradition from my childhood). This way all of us new grandmothers can see the grandchild of our friend.

• Sarah Moore January 24th, 2012 11:44 am

Hi Sue,

The cake was bought from Kathy Canby cakes and it really was to die for! Her website is: http://www.kathycanbycakes.com/

Congratulations to your friend’s daughter and to all of you excited grandmothers! Hope you have a great sip n’ see in March, and thanks for reading.