brooke-brown-pollard

My Labor and Delivery Nurse

In order to make labor and delivery less scary I ”planned” what it was going to be like, down to the nurse who would assist me.  In hindsight that was extremely naïve on my behalf, but the thought of this specific nurse by my side during such a vulnerable time comforted me.  I was so upset and disappointed when I learned the nurse I wanted was sick and I was assigned to someone else!

My Labor and Delivery Nurse was the best!!

My Labor and Delivery Nurse was the best!!

My disappointment quickly faded when my assigned nurse walked in my room and took charge.  She introduced herself and explained what was going to happen that day.  She fixed things that were bothering me from the night before. She had already spoken with my mid-wife and informed me when my mid-wife was going to be there.

Most importantly, she asked me how I was feeling and if I had any questions.  Then she was off again to get me things I needed and was back quickly.  I remember saying to my husband “wow, that girl is on game!”  Her immediate attention to detail and take charge attitude diminished some of the anxiety I was feeling.  I was able to relax and concentrate on my birth experience rather than worrying about my control issues, my nurse had everything under control!

As the day wore on my labor became more intense.  When I started to panic, my nurse reassured me everything was fine and I was doing great.  I eventually was able to let go and turn myself over to her, which I thought would be difficult, but she made it easy.  She interacted with my husband and mother and became part of our team rather than just the nurse in our room.

I was in labor for 12 hours and 41 minutes.  At one point I asked her what time her shift was over and she replied “I am off now.”  She was by my side while I was in heavy labor to cheer me on and she was there, on her own time, when my son entered the world.

I had a pregnancy journal that I filled out every week.  At the end of the journal, a variety of questions asked details of my labor and delivery.  One of the questions asked-“Nurses that I do not want to forget.”  There is only one name on that line: Megan Lawson.  I do not need the journal to remember that name though.  Her work ethic, attention to detail, patient care, and take-charge attitude has etched her name in my mind.  I will be sure to tell Sayle all about the nurse the helped his mom get him here.

How did you like your labor and delivery nurse?

6 Comments on “My Labor and Delivery Nurse”

• Kelly December 11th, 2009 3:45 pm

I LOVED my labor and delivery nurse!

• Cheryl Bender December 13th, 2009 8:44 am

My son was born in Key West. I’m not a fan of my labor nurse AT ALL. I only saw her one time and that was while Beau was being born! I won’t need a journal to help me remember her name either!!!

• Sarah December 14th, 2009 11:25 am

Mine was an angel; she stayed with me through many hours of labor, a failed forcepts attempt, and finally an emergency c-section. Her and my husband talked me through it when I was ready to give up, thank God for good L&D nurses!!!

• Brooke Brooke December 14th, 2009 9:32 pm

Ah Cheryl-if you have number 2 you need to request Megan Lawson. I assure you she is fabulous! That journal comment made me laugh!
    I’m so glad you had a good one Sarah, I think it really makes the experience that much better if you have a great nurse. I know that I don’t like to be taken care of, but at a time like that I was so thankful for Megan.

• Jules December 16th, 2009 11:06 am

Hey Brooke

I liked our main nurse – she was familiar with multiples and was around the whole day going over stuff. Much like yours she stayed around until the girls showed up after her shift was over.

• Judy June 11th, 2011 9:07 am

Karen. A name I will never forget.

I had the honor of being able to be in the L&D room for my only daughter’s first birth at her request. I sat in the corner shedding quiet tears. It had been well over 20 + years since I had been through this experience myself. How things had changed in the hospital maternal health world. Her husband never left her side. But, I will never forget Karen. I watched her because sometimes I couldn’t watch my child silently hurt. It’s painful for a mom as we are all too aware.

She never left the foot of that bed, counting, directing, reassuring, as my daughter never said anything other than a simple, “Thank You,” for over too many hours. I often felt sorry for that strong and steadfast nurse who never once got herself a snack, a drink of water or wiped her own brow. No one relieved her until the doctor arrived and then Karen remained and the nursery staff arrived to assist as well. But, Karen still remained. She was gentle, kind, and caring. She as we all know too well did not have to be. We all know mean spirited people. This woman knows her job, and executed it perfectly and took control of every situation making the birthing mother feel confident and in good hands.

Karen’s feet had to ache. Her feet on hospital floors had to ache, her legs had to feel the burn after 12 hours. We are all human after all. The staff was great. I am certain that the charge nurse was there doing a great job administering drugs to those who needed them but my daughter went natural so we didn’t need a lot of staff. There are those nurses who do it for pay and there are those people who were meant to be nurses because they have a calling deep inside of them and they listened to that “whisper,” and followed it until it became a voice then a yell. It’s Karen’s passion. Wherever you are Karen, walking the hallways at OMH, helping a woman push today, counting to ten at the foot of yet another bed, Thank You from the bottom of my heart for making it a smooth and beautiful experience for my daughter.